This section of the site is to provide some help and information about the features used in this site Please remeber that i am developing this site as I can and from time to time as i update things more content will be added
Flora & Fauna Section
What is the Flora & Fauna Section?
This area of the site is aimed at helping people within the community identify and understand what exists in the natural environment around Tomahawk The Flora & Fauna of Tomahawk
What does species origin mean?
The origin basically refers to how the species arrived in an area or if it is in its native range. There are five categories in this section
- Origin Uncertain - The species’ provenance in the area is not known (it may be Endemic, Native, Vagrant or Introduced)
- Native - The species is native to the area
- Introduced - The species is/was introduced outside of its historical distribution range
- Vagrant - The species is recorded sporadically, but it is known not to be native to the area
- Endemic - The species is known to only exist in the area
What is the Conservation Status?
The conservation status is how the species is recorded on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species whilst Australia does have conservation statuses both by state and a federal system for ease I have choosen the Red List for a simpler option
- Not Evaluated - A species is Not Evaluated when it has not yet been evaluated against the criteria
- Data Deficient - A species is Data Deficient when there is inadequate information to make a direct, or indirect, assessment of its risk of extinction based on its distribution and/or population status
- Least Concern - A species is Least Concern when it has been evaluated against the criteria but does not qualify for near threatened Widespread and abundant species are included in this category
- Near Threatened - A species is Near Threatened it has been evaluated against the criteria but does not qualify for vulnerable yet
- Vulnerable - A species is Vulnerable when the best available evidence indicates that it is facing a high risk of extinction in the wild
- Endangered - A species is Endangered when the best available evidence indicates that it is facing a very high risk of extinction in the wild
- Critically Endangered - A species is Critically Endangered when the best available evidence indicates that it is facing an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild
- Extinct In The Wild - A species is Extinct in the Wild when it is known only to survive in captivity or as a naturalized population well outside the past range
- Extinct - A species is Extinct when there is no reasonable doubt that the last individual has died
What is the Distribution Guide?
The distribution guide is a map of observations of where a species has been sighted some of these sightings may not be verified however it is a fairly reasonable guide.
The map is created dynamically based on a species id in some cases the names used may be different however the species is correct the ALA are very slow in keeping up with correct names for species so they may be using a synonym of the currently accepted name.
Do you have a Search Function?
The search feature is currently not openly available whilst i have made some features within the Flora & Fauna perform searches i have not made this feature openly available for now
- Genus - You can click on the genus and this will show you all the species listed for that genus
- Family - Just like the genus you can click on the family name to show a list of species for that family
- Tags - Some species have tags to group them into other search results so clicking on the relevant tag will show you a list of species for that tag
Nearby, Locations & Attractions
This section of the site is still under development
Whilst this area is under development some features may not be available or may be broken at times
This area is structured based on key features or function of the location such as fishing or dining